Sunday, November 10, 2013

EP post 6

Yesterday was quite fun. I got together with Bobby and we worked on the song I wrote on guitar and kind of built off of it and tweaked it. It was entertaining to hear somebody playing one of my songs.  I changed the chord progression to E minor, a type of C major/C sus chord, and A minor.  This week I want to focus on putting lyrics to my ukulele song.  I have no idea where I'm going to start.  Where should I gather inspiration? What should it be about?  I haven't really been through any significant life-changing experiences yet, not even heartbreak (none that is worthy of songwriting anyway).  I think this is why it is such a challenge to me.  All the songs that I love and feel moved by have powerful, meaningful lyrics that have come from the artists' personal experiences.  I don't think I've experienced enough to write anything super meaningful yet.

I feel like I need to be dedicating more time to this.  It makes me feel guilty to be honest because I really spend only two out of seven days a week working on this, sometimes less.  I need to work out a plan of some sort that dedicates a certain amount of my time to creative flow and song writing.  I don't think the class time is very helpful to me for the actual writing piece of it.  There are too many distractions and I like to be completely alone when I write.  It is, however, good for the research portion and figuring out things like how I am going to sell the music, getting recording equipment and stuff like that.

I am thinking about asking a few of my friends to be featured on my EP as many of them are musical.  Many of them sing, a few of them play guitar and my one friend plays violin which I think could be cool.  Also my brother plays the drums so I will need him no matter what.  My friend, Hannah Brauer, and I get together and jam all them time.  She plays the piano, ukulele, flute, and she sings.  She's kind of like my musical partner in crime.  It's been that way since our first gig at our eighth grade talent show.  Ever since then we have clicked and our musical bond as well as our bond as friends is strong.  My mom always says that when you put two musicians in a room together, it's like anybody else who walks in is a mere fly on the wall to them.  I feel like music has that power, especially on people like Hannah and I who are so musically absorbed.  I think I might feel more comfortable if I were doing this with her but I don't know if that is an option.

1 comment:

  1. That's so great Nina! Can't wait to hear what you have!

    ReplyDelete